Thursday, July 30, 2009

Steve Lowery


Steve Lowery is in the clubhouse at 9 under, taking the lead at the Buick Open. And like Tom Pernice, he talked about how great it is to play at Warwick Hills.

"They've kept the four par 5s and the driveable par 4," said Lowery, who won the AT&T Pebble Beach tournament in 2008. "I'm not a fan of the 470-500-yard par 4s.

"This type of course - it makes it more exciting to watch, more exciting to play. I think it's better."

He also said he thinks a little more rambunctiousness from the fans would be a good thing.

"Obviously, it could get out of hand," Lowery said. "But golf needs more of that."

He said the par 3 No. 17, already known for its rowdy crowds, is an exciting hole to play.

I remember my tee shot on the 17 in the Pro-Am. I sliced it to the right, and I was sure that i saw my ball go into a group of fans on the right side of the green. But all of sudden, it magically appeared inside the ropes, just short of the green.

When I walked up to my ball, I asked the group if they threw my ball back, ala throwing a home run ball back onto the field.

Photo courtesy of PGA Tour

No comments:

Post a Comment