Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sea Scape Golf Links



It makes sense that this course has links in its name. Much like Nags Head Links, Sea Scape Golf Links in Kitty Hawk features a Scottish links-style layout because of its proximity to both the sound and the ocean. But unlike Nags Head Links, no holes skirt the water, but you can see the Atlantic from a couple of the holes.

That brings wind into play, and I'm using that as an excuse on a couple of holes in which my shots came up short of the pin. And I know I hit good shots.

Regardless, I had the best round of my life. Even with three triple bogeys, I managed to finish with a 91. Granted, the par 70 Sea Scape is a short course - 6,131 yards from the tips - and features six par 3s and and two of its four par 5s are in the high 400-yard range. But I had six pars, including three in a row on the front nine.

Putting, I think, was the key. I was up and down six times on the front for a 44. Putting once on a green is pretty special, and several were from at least 6 feet or better. Putting on the back nine was not as good, but still not terrible.

The fairways are pretty wide open, but there's plenty of uneven lies along the way. And the waste bunkers full of sea grass and sand make it fairly challenging.

The picture of me is on No. 18 just after the round.

No comments:

Post a Comment