Saturday, September 12, 2009

Fallen firefighters tournament

Anytime I play in a best ball tournament, my goal is to use at least one of my shots because usually, I'm playing with golfers who are much better than I am.

Thursday was no different.

I was lucky enough to latch onto a team with three good players, including Jason Bland, a Rocky Mount firefighter; Scott, a volunteer firefighter in Nash County; and Mr. Glover, an 82-year-old man who still can play the game..

We played Ford's Colony in Rocky Mount, a nice course that's fairly wide open, but can play long - more than 7,000 yards from the tips. We played from the white tees, giving my teammates a chance to drive the green on a couple of the shorter par 4s.

But at the par 3s, I stepped up. There were closest to the pins contests at the four par 3s, and I had short-lived leads on two of the holes. My best shot probably came at No. 16, which played 169 yards from the white tees over water. I stuck it below the hole on the right side, about 10 feet from the pin.

We used a couple of my drives on longer holes, and at least three of my putts. I was putting pretty well Thursday.

We ended up with a 60, 12 under par. But that was only good enough for fifth place. The winning team - one of two fielded by Tarheel Auto Sales - which carded a 56 for the day. Plus, there were three 57s.

But it was for a good cause - a fundraiser for North Carolina firefighters who have been killed seriously hurt. Organizers still were tallying up the total money riased, so I'll update you guys later on that.

I'd call it a success. About two dozen teams turned out, and they had some extra contests that seemed pretty successful, too.

I know I had a good time, and I'd like to play Ford's Colony again. It was my second round there, but it's definitely one of the better courses in Eastern North Carolina.


No comments:

Post a Comment