Sunday, September 6, 2009

Hickorly Meadows Golf Course


It's no Augusta National or even a match for any of the courses at the Kingsmill in Williamsburg, Va.

But it's not supposed to be.

Hickory Meadows is a 30-year-old municipal golf course straddling Interstate 95 on one side and farmland on the other. And many golfers might overlook Hickory Meadows when looking for a place to play in the Rocky Mount area, but they'd be missing out.

It's a nicely designed, wide open, well-maintained course that is basically very forgiving for those of us who might hit an errant tee shot into an adjoining fairway. I've played the course three times in the past few months, and that happened to me a few times.

But even when you're in trouble - lying two in another fairway - you still have a good chance of getting back on track and making par.

Don't get me wrong. There are some challenges to Hickory Meadows. Although the fairways are wide open, even the first cut of rough is tall. A couple of times, I felt like I was at a U.S. Open event.

And with three par 3s, three par 5s and 12 par 4s - all but two less than 400 yards - it plays pretty short (6,423 yards from the tips.)

My favorite hole is the closing hole - a short par 4 with water just in front of the green. Long hitters can go for it and make birdie fairly easily. My least favorite hole is No. 16, a crazy dogleg with water all the way down the inside of the leg.

Yes, you can find better courses nearby. But I like it, and if you get a chance to play Hickory Meadows, you shouldn't pass it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment