Friday, February 19, 2010

Tiger talks


I've been holding off all day on this, wondering whether I should even bother. I guess I'll throw my 2 cents into the mix if for no other reason than to say I did.

For the three people on the planet who didn't watch Tiger Woods this morning, he came out of hiding, read a statement to the world, hugged some people and left. If I sound a little cynical, it's probably because I've been reading so many opinions about what Woods said.

And what he didn't say.

And what he should have said or done.

But there are others out there who didn't skewer Woods today. And some who still believe in the "good Tiger."

As for me, at the risk of repeating myself: I DON'T CARE ABOUT HIS PERSONAL LIFE.

I watched the latest in the Woods drama because I was hoping he'd make some kind of announcement regarding his return to golf. He didn't, other than to say he probably would at some future date. That was disappointing.

But most of the other stuff that he said was just filler for me. I will say that I think he had a lot of guts to say the things that he did. Whether they were sincere or not, whether they were from the heart or not, whether it was all a PR ploy or not, just the words coming out of his mouth impressed me.

He manned up and said he was sorry. He apologized several times in numerous ways. He called himself selfish and foolish. He admitted that because of his celebrity status - and I'm paraphrasing - he believed that he didn't have to live by the same rules and moral code as us regular folk.

As far as I can tell, everything he said about what's happened so far was true. He said he brought this on himself; he said he lost sight of his values as a Buddhist; he said he was the one who deserves all the blame.

As far as what he said about the future, that's a little harder to sort out.
"I do plan to return to golf one day, I just don't know when that day will be. I don't rule out that it will be this year."
Sooner rather than later would make me happy. But I guess Woods isn't going to base his decision on what makes me happy.

But what he said right after the above quote was what I thought the most important part of Woods' statement. And he said it almost in passing.
"When I do return, I need to make my behavior more respectful of the game."
Does that mean no more cussing and throwing golf clubs? Perhaps that statement was for Tom Watson's benefit, who recently criticized Woods for his past on-course behavior. Regardless, that part impressed me most.

3 comments:

  1. As a woman, I think he's a first-rate cad, and my opinion of him as a man has forever changed. As a golfer, I could not care less about his personal life. I do hope, though, that when he does return, he changes his course behavior. I could do without the f-word and club throwing when shots don't go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've posted this in the past, but I want to make sure I'm not misunderstood. I don't condone what he did. As a man, I think he's a first-rate cad. But he's never been my go-to guy for morals and family values. So, in that respect, my opinion of him hasn't changed at all. But I do agree: I hope he's sincere about changing his on-course behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still hopeful he'll be back for the Masters.

    ReplyDelete