Sunday, April 18, 2010

Operation Nineveh charity golf tournament

Well, it's over.

Helping put on a charity golf event is a lot harder than I thought. But everything came together, and I think it was a success.

We raised some money for Operation Nineveh, a planned homeless shelter and soup kitchen in Rocky Mount.

We got the word out about the organization.

We played golf at Northgreen Country Club. Here are some photos of the event.

And there were plenty of prizes, food and drinks to make the day even better.

I'd like to thank everyone who helped out with donations, as well as the players who participated. I believe Operation Nineveh's Web site will be posting a sponsors and participation list this week.

And although my team - at 8-under - didn't win, we had some good times out there. Chip read about the event in the Rocky Mount Telegram, and he showed up to help out. And Tony delayed his trip back to Alaska so he could play.

Trevor Seibert, sports writer at the Telegram, rounded out our team. And everyone contributed.

Chip was pretty steady on the tee; Trevor carried us on the front nine; Tony bombed several drives on the back nine; and I chipped in for eagle from beside the green on No. 7 and nailed a long birdie putt, as well.

But there was more than playing golf for me. Making phone calls, picking up prizes, recruiting teams, setting up and tearing down tables at the club. Afterward, I was exhausted. But it was worth it, primarily because it was for a good cause.

Well, now that it's over, I guess it's time to start planning for the Fall Classic.

Anyone want to play golf and help out the homeless?

No comments:

Post a Comment